Friday, March 16, 2012

A tribute to my Grandmother

           Today, I received the word that my grandmother had passed this morning.  It was not an unexpected thing as she has been in a nursing home for the past few years, but that does not make it any easier.  While her last few years were less than good, I prefer to remember her as she was for most of her life.  With that in mind, I give you the following.
           My grandmother was a great and wonderful woman.  Her house was always a safe and inviting place.  Filled with the smells of great food and the aura of welcome.  She always had a smile for everyone, not just her grandkids.  She welcomed any friend we brought home, or neighbor kid that stopped by.  She engaged them in conversation to learn about them and was genuinely interested in all that we said.  She did have rules and we followed them. That isn't to say she didn't spoil us.  We spent nearly every Sunday there and many holidays.  I still treasure the recipes she gave us and the life lessons she shared.  She helped instill in us responsibility and an ingrained sense of honor.  She taught us to value others as ourselves.  She taught us the value of Family and that no matter what, she would be there for us.
           My grandmother brought so much to us.  When my mother was sick, she stayed with us and kept us going.  she went out of her way to care for us for no more reason than we needed her.  She didn't run to take vacations after she retired, instead she stayed by us to provide us with a place to go.  She listened when we wanted to talk.  Gave us a shoulder to cry on when we were hurt.  She knew instinctively that a cookie could solve many of life's problems when you are young and that a quiet nod was what it took when you were older.  Her advice was always careful and considered and she was never to experienced to hear the opinions and advice of those around her.
          When it comes right down to it, my grandmother was an anchor, not only for our family, but for the entire neighborhood.  She took the time to take care of those whose life she touched.  She was an active member of her church and yet she still had time to make Sunday lunch, not just for herself, but for anyone who stopped by.  Many days there were 10 or more around the dinner table that looked like it was set for a thanksgiving feast even though it was April.  No one lest Grandma's place hungry or in need of a hug and she always meant it when she told you to come back soon.
         Maybe I rambled a bit and maybe I repeated myself a few times, but that is what my Grandma was and how I remember her.  I think those that knew her would say the same.  Thank you Grandma for all you gave us.  I thank God for the time we had with her.
         Thanks for reading and, as always have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful comments about mom. She would be very pleased, and wonder why you would say so many nice things about her. She lived her life with kindness and love.
    Aunt Janis

    ReplyDelete