Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Another answer

            I didn't post yesterday because I got sent to the other office at the last minute to fill in for coworkers who had appointments.  That being said, I really don't have a topic for today so I will include another answer for my sons.  Here it is.

1-1          What’s the most important lesson you learned from your dad?
To begin with, I learned a lot from my dad and not all of it was appreciated at the time.  Some of the things I learned from my dad didn’t sink in until years after I left home and I realized where that particular bit of wisdom came from.  The one that I deem the most important was one of these.  Dad didn’t come right out and say you ought to do this or not do that.  No, it was a lesson taught through living and by example.  I don’t even know if dad realized he was teaching me a lesson, I believe he just lived that way.  The lesson I am talking about?  Treat others with respect and kindness at all times.  Sounds simple enough until those others step on you and hurt you.  I can’t remember dad ever getting angry and yelling at anyone.  He always treated everyone he met with respect and honesty.  Even when they weren’t around he treated them right.  Sure, there were times when he may have said something negative, but it was always in a respectful manner, more of an observance than gossip or meanness.   As I said, it wasn’t so much a lesson taught as a lesson observed.  I hope it is a lesson I can pass on to you. 
I couldn’t leave this at one lesson.  There is a second lesson that comes on the heels of the first.  It is to work hard at whatever it is that you do.  This was a lesson I definitely didn’t appreciate growing up.  Usually, it was because it was one I learned through doing.  This is a lesson that is best taught through action.  I learned it through chores and work on our four acres.  There was always something that needed to be done.  Usually it was enough to keep us kids working all week during the summer and all day Saturday during the school year.  Looking back, I thank God that dad made us do that work and do it right.  He gave us the understanding that spending a little extra time to do it right the first time is better than doing it right the second or third time.  I hope that it is something I can teach you as well.  The ability to do a job right the first time and to see it through to the finish is important.  It is what sets you apart from your peers and allows you to find success in whatever you do.
             As I look back I realize that lessons that struck home the strongest were the ones taught through actions.  Those taught to me by word of mouth have tended to fade while those that my dad lived have endured.  I hope that I can live those lessons for you and that you can live them for your sons and daughters.
            Thanks for reading and, as always, have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment