Monday, July 2, 2012

Fireworks, the 4th, and the traffic

           What a week!  I look back over the past week and I realize just how busy I have been.  I didn't even have a hour to fix my truck until Sunday and I knew what I needed to do for over a week.  That's what happens when family visits.
            I have a question.  Who is planning on going to a public fireworks display?  Personnaly, I don't want to go to one because it is a pain in the rear.  If I can find a spot nearby that I can see the display from, then I would rather go there.  The reason is that when you go to a public display you find that everyone else went as well.  Either you arrive hours ahead of time and stake out your spot, which means your car is now blocked in and you also don't get to leave for hours afterward, or you arrive just beofre it starts, walk a mile to get to a decent spot, hope that you can actually sit (with 8 people this year, not going to be easy), then try to navigate the crowd on your way out.  No matter how you look at it, is 15 minutes of fireworks really worth the hassle?  Maybe if we planned on meeting a couple of families there it may be worth it, but I just don't see it as worth it with what we have to deal with.
            Don't get me wrong, I love seeing fireworks, I just don't like all the problems that come with it.  At least if we stay close to home, the boys can go inside if they get scared or decide they are too tired.  I just don't want to go.  I want a couple of days at home without running in circles.  Is it too much to ask to have a holiday at home with my family without pressure to run somewhere for some reason?  Oh well, making hte wife happy is important too.
             Other than the fireworks dilema, I really am looking forward to the 4th.  I am making homemade ice cream again this year (strawberry this time).  We are planning on going traditional with burgers and hot dogs.  I have a few fireworks to light off at home and of course, we have games to play.  So much fun.  I hope you have a wonderful 4th.  Tomorrow will be my last post of the week due to the holiday and the wierdness of my schedule.
           Thanks for reading and, as always, have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment