Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Read the comments.

        Every morning, I read the news on the Internet.  Some of the stories I read because they are new and interesting.  Some I read because they are continuations of what I have already read.  But no matter which one I read, I always look at the comments.  I probably shouldn't, because it just convinces me that there are a lot of idiots out there.  Some people say things that aren't true to get rises out of people (recognized by the way they repeat whatever comment got the worst rating before theirs or by stating the exact opposite of the most liked comment).  Some comments are actually thought out and coherent.  These are the comments I tend to pay the most attention to as they are the ones that reveal the underlying beliefs of society.  Try it sometime, you may find yourself amazed at just how much our society has declined. 
      Take the recent ruling by a judge here in Washington.  The ruling was that the names of the people who signed the petition to put the issue of gay rights on the ballot should be released to the public.  The arguments for and against were heated.  Those for the release cited that you signed at your own risk and thus had no protection.  That they had the right to avoid doing business with those that signed it.  They also said that this didn't constitute harassment or vengeance as it was just a part of the free market.  Those against the release of names cited the harassment that would result from the release of names.  It amazes me that we can redefine things to meet our narrow views of the world.  Granted, I have done this myself, but I also corrected myself when the truth was pointed out to me.  How can you say that choosing not to do business with someone as a result of a petition they signed is not retaliation for signing the petition, is beyond me.  It is a scare tactic.  If you don't sign on the line for the community watch and agree to pay for it, we will ensure you don't get business.  That is a felony as it is a protection racket.  How is that different from saying that because you signed that petition, I will make sure that no one does business with you?  It isn't and yet it is being touted as just the price of a free market.  Amazing isn't it.
        Looking back at what I wrote, I realized I just gave you a second installment of Manic Monday by accident.  Sorry, But I had to say it.  Have a great day and don't let it get to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment