Friday, April 15, 2011

Just for laughs.

   Yesterday, while talking to my lovely wife, I was informed that my posts were a bit dark and I should write on something more positive.  This sounds easier than it is.  The news is filled with pain and sadness, there are problems everywhere.  It is just so easy to get caught in the loop of being down that it is easy to forget there is an up side.  So I have decided to institute a minimum of one happy post a week.  This week it will fall on a Friday, but I think I will shift it to a Wednesday and call it Happy Hump Day, just for fun.  So here goes.
   For this weeks installment I believe I will share a funny story from my life.  Years ago, when I was 13, I was allowed to start camping on my own.  I got a tent and a Lantern for Christmas and my friend, John, and I thought it would be great to set up the tent on the dam of a local pond so we could fish and camp at the same time.  Why not, we loved fishing, and camping was just a way of extending the camping day.  Besides, we checked the weather and the forcast said no rain for at least a week.  And it hadn't rained in a month so why should it change?  So we packed our stuff.  Turns out, when you go camping the first time you tend to take to much.  I didn't recognize this rule until much later (my wife still says I take to much, but I like to be prepared.)  So there I was, on my mountain bike, 2 gunny sacks (one on each side for balance) filled to the brim, my tackle box on the rack in the back, and my back pack.  My tackle box at the time was a large metal one filled with lures, hooks, weights, lines, and leaders and weighed approximately a ton.  I had a smaller plastic one, but I needed everything in the metal one so I drug it along as well.  Needless to say, once I had everything loaded I ended up pushing my bike to the campsite (about 10 miles away) because when I tried to ride the tires went flat and I fell over.  Besides, it was easier to use the seat to carry the backpack because for some reason when I put it on my back I couldn't stand up.
    We got to the site about 3 in the afternoon and set up camp.  You'd be amazed what two 13 year old boys can carry to a camp site.  The small mountain of pots, pans, utensils, canned food, bedding, and other necesities would have filled a small cathedral.  I had the tent so I was in charge of choosing a location.  The center of the dam was perfect.  We could set up our poles on the dam and fish the deepest part and not be to far from the tent and fire.  We set up the fire pit and put our lines in the water.  We then tried to start the fire.  We finally gave up 3 hours later when we realized neither of us had a clue how to start a fire with the small amount of twigs and brush we could gather.  In the four tons of equipment we had brought, neither of us had bothered to bring firewood.  The stuff is just lying around everywhere after all, isn't it?  So we went with out a fire.  It was summer, so who needs a fire anyway.  It's not like we had steaks to cook anyway.  Besides, we could eat the canned food we brought without heating it.  The next hour was spent argueing over who was supposed to bring the can opener.  That's when we learned lesson number 2 of camping, always make sure you write down who is supposed to bring what.  This is great advice if you plan months in advance and are face to face.  Doesn't work so well if you plan your camping trip the way I do and leave the same day you thought of it.
    It was now dusk, so I lit my latern and was amazed at the amount of light it put out.  This was great, now we could see what we were doing, as could the astronauts.  It was then that we realized we had had our lines in the water for about 4 hours and hadn't had a nibble.  We brought in our lines to check and sure enough, the worms were gone.  We rebaited the hooks and threw them back out.  Now that we had nothing to do but watch our lines we noticed that the fish were starting to bite.  In the next 45 minutes we hooked 10 good sized catfish and were having a ball.  That was when we noticed it was completely dark outside of our circle of light.  We had flashlights, but who needs them with a propane lantern.  That's when we discovered that if you leave the metal handel of the lantern standing up, you will recieve a nifty red line accross your palm when you pick it up.  As we cast out our lines after removing catfish number 10, we were smiling and having a good time.  Then the fish stopped biting just a suddenly as they had started.  We watched our lines intently for the next 10 minutes and nothing happened then John looked at me and said, "did I just feel a rain drop?"
    I looked at him and that's when it rained.  Not a slowly growing rain.  You know, the kind that starts as a light drizzle to warn you of things to come.  No, this skipped right to the grand finale.  The rain where everything is soaked in 2 seconds and you can swim through it.  The kind where you see fish swimming through the air because they don't know where the surface of the pond is supposed to be.  Then the lantern went out with a hiss and it went dark.  The kind of dark where you know the hand touching the nose is yours, but you have no way to prove it.  Then the Lightening started.  I heard a mumbled curse from John as we both dove for the tent.  Turns out, the tent may have been able to withstand a drizzle, but a flood was a different story.  Further, the flashlights didn't want to work.  For some reason, if they get wet they don't like to work.  We quickly grabbed the essentials, namely the food and bedding and started the trek home.  Luckily, the lightening was frequent enough that we didn't need a flashlight.  I'd say we used the flashes of lightening to get our bearings, but since the light was continuous, we just used it to walk home.  We ended up sleeping (or attempting to) in my barn at home (didn't want to go in and admit defeat).
   The next morning we went back to the campsite to grab our gear.  Luckily everything was still there including our fish.  Dad just laughed and informed us that we would have to rinse off in the hose before we could come inside.  The weatherman said that the freak storm the night before was one of the most intense in years.  Duh, John and I could have told him that.  The amazing thing was, dad had a better story from his younger days.  I don't remember what it was, but it involved a hundred mile trek, freezing rain, and an angry bear.  Must have been one heck of a good camping trip, wish I could have been there.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Sometimes it's like yesterday we were all that young - and other days it seems like another life. Ever wish we could go back knowing everything we know now and do it again? I think we'd have more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete