Monday, April 25, 2011

This weekend, and a note about growing up.

      So all in all, it wasn't to bad a weekend.  Saturday, I started to help a friend remodel his bathroom.  I say started because as we started working on removing the old tub and fixtures we discovered to outside wall had a slight carpenter ant infection.  By slight I mean, we were able to keep from tearing down the entire house.  The damage was limited to a 6' x 7' section of wall.  Now when the weather is nice, I get to help him rebuild a wall.  Yippee. 

    Sunday came and low and behold, my youngest was sick.  Luckily I couldn't breathe due to my cold and thus didn't have to smell his dirty diapers (apparantly they were horrible).  Between an upset 3 year old, a raging headache, an inability to breathe, and an overwhelming desire to sleep, I was unable to go to Easter services.  I was a bit bummed.  This also meant I was unable to go and help my friend with finishing his bathroom.  Guess it was a good thing it rained.  I felt slightly better that afternoon so I was able to finally color eggs with my boys.  The eggs are currently sitting in the fridge waiting to be eaten or turned into something yummy.  I doubt I will be able to taste them since I still can't breathe.  So my weekend was pretty much a wash.  I got to spend so little time with my family that it didn't seem like a weekend at all.

   Today, I spent the first 10 minutes draining my nose.  At least I don't have a headache today.  I still can't breathe and want ot go to sleep, but I think I will survive.  All in all it has been interesting.  At least I had a good chance to work with a friend and maybe we can finish his bathroom before the end of the week.  We'll see.

     The converstations I had this weekend have really hit home on so many levels.  I realized just how lucky I was to have a father who was willing to take me to work with him and teach me what it was he did.  I also find that what I was given through his discipline and direction helped to shape who I became and influences me to this day.  I have realized that I want nothing more than to return to that style of living.  I used to think that my dad wasn't business savy and could have made his business a lot larger and maybe not lived with as little as we did.  Looking back, I realize now that I was wrong.  Dad could have easily increased his business to become some large business, but he would have lost the connection with his customers.  I believe now that this was his main reason for having the business the way he did.  That is why whenever the business started to really grow, he always managed to make it smaller again.  He enjoyed connecting with people and still does.  I have found I have a similar desire, just on a smaller scale.  Due to many reasons, I am not as trusting or outgoing as my dad.  I am happy to spend hours sitting by myself, but I will go out of my way for a friend.  I may not make a ton of friends, but those I allow into that circle are there for life.  As I have mentioned to my friends and family, I have many aquaintances and very few friends.  I like to know that as my friend, I can count on you as much as you can count on me.  My dad is much the same.  His circle of friends may be larger, but that is due to how long he has had to make them and the community he lives in.  Like many who have had a father that cares for them, I want to be like my dad.  Maybe not a carbon copy, but enough of a facsimile that some can see my dad in me.  Of all the compliments I can recieve, to hear that I am like my dad is the greatest one I think I could get.  So, to end this, I guess I could just say, Thanks dad.  And expect me to take this to the next level come Fathers Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment