Monday, July 18, 2011

Manic Monday: Islam Vs Christianity

     So many issues, so little time.  Today on Manic Monday, I think I will discuss a few things that caught my eye in the news.  Two stories on the KOMO news web site caught my eye and they are related in a way.  The first is about a Muslim man who felt he was being discriminated against by the border patrol and the second is covering a quote from a potential presidential candidate who says that communities have a right to ban mosques.  The thing that really caught my eye was the parallels in the comments.  This post will dwell primarily on those parallels vice the subject matter of the articles since the discussions from each forum tend to cover most arguments (thought they tend to denigrate to Christian/religion bashing).
      The first thing that caught my eye were the repeated references to terrorism and the following replies that Christianity had done the same.  The fact is that, while their were the crusades and the inquisition, in context of the times, all religions (or peoples for that matter) were pretty much at war and it was the accepted means of resolving disputes (and the side that had the church backing them was considered more right, unfortunately).  I am not saying that it made it right, I am merely putting it in perspective.  This is further complicated by the arguments of the core of religions. 
        At some point, any discussion of Muslims eventually leads to someone pointing out that the Quaran (spelling?) directs killing of unbelievers.  This inevitably leads to someone pointing out that the bible does as well.  The fact is that the Christian bible doesn't.  The quote used recently to point out that it does was Leviticus 24:15 & 16.  This line of reasoning is flawed.  Firstly, Islam directs you to hunt out non-believers and kill them whereas these particular verses are directed towards blasphemers.  This means that unless you directly blaspheme God (Def.: To speak of, or address, with impious irreverence; to revile impiously (anything sacred) or in clearer terms: to attribute to God that which is contrary to his nature, and does not belong to him, and to deny what does or it is a false reflection uttered with a malicious, design of reviling god).  In other words, if you don't mock God with evil intent you are safe from the Jewish community, whereas Islam, just not believing and following Islam is death.  The reason I stated Jewish instead of Christian is this, the New testament is the driving force for Christians.  The Old Testament is the basis and background for the New Testament and is the Christian copy of the Torah (Hebrew bible).  The primary set of rules is for Christians is in the New Testament as it is the teachings of Christ (you know, the guy we are named for).  The difference is that as Christian, we are taught (or should be) that your sin is between you and God and it is not our place to punish you for it.  We can call you out on it and show you where you went wrong, but it is between you and God.  Don't get me wrong, there are also directions in there for dealing with repeat offenders, but if you read closely, you find that the most severe punishment in the New Testament that Christians are to impose is kicking the sinner out of the Church and then only after many attempts to keep them in (at least that's how I read it).  I may have missed something as I am not a Theologist by any stretch of the imagination, so I welcome any further additions you have.  I can hear some of you already, what about the laws in our society?  They serve a purpose which is to prevent society from being overran by the lawless and, while some may be based on biblical principles, they are generally man made. 
          I can't blame a lot of people for their stance on religion.  There are a lot of hypocrites out there after all.  I turned away from religion for many years myself for that reason.  Luckily, I found a place that taught and followed the bible and has allowed me to follow what I believe.  For those of you who have been disenfranchised by hypocritical churches and Christians, and I am sorry.  You shouldn't have had to deal with that.  I can't help but think that those of us who try our hardest to live as Christians should are hurt the most but those who claim to be Christians and yet don't act it.  That's my two cents for the day.  Whether you agree or not.  I enjoy hearing from you.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment