Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Dad: The unrecognized role model

            This week keeps getting more expensive.  Yesterday, I found out that it would cost more to fix the dryer than it would cost to buy a new one.  The funny thing is, it is still usable, although annoying to the extreme.  So we are going to save up and buy a new one when the newest models come out (we will by the previous years models on sale).  Hopefully it will last that long. 
             With that in mind it is time to move on to today's topic.  With everything that has been happening, I have realized just how much I learned from my dad.  I have a decent understanding of how septic systems work.  I understand home plumbing and can do a lot of the electrical without getting shocked to bad.  I have a decent understanding of what it takes to run a garden and the list goes on.  I saw a lot of different repairs and projects with my dad and he taught me about most of them.  The funny thing is, I don't remember paying that much attention while they were going on, but I remember the lessons and what they meant. 
               These practical lessons are what has really stuck with me and shaped a lot of what makes my dad to me.  Sure, I remember some of the games we played together, but most of my memories with my dad are centered around jobs I did with him.  Watching him work and his interaction with those he worked for and with, shaped a lot of how I approach things today.  I can't remember dad ever uttering a single cuss word or speaking badly of anyone.  The closest he ever got to talking badly about someone was when he referred to people as characters.  You know, "that guy sure is a character."  You may not have known whether he meant it in a good or bad way, but you knew that whoever he was talking about wasn't playing with a full deck. 
              This isn't to say dad didn't have his opinions, he just kept them to himself unless he was able to make a change.  I can't imagine that anyone could find anything disagreeable about dad if he ran for public office, other than the fact that I don't think he would want the job.  I think the lessons I learned most about dad is, he has that innate ability to make you think about what it is you are going to do and say with out saying a thing.
             Where does that lead me?  It leads me to the conclusion that dad didn't just claim to be a Christian, he lived it.  I can't think of another living person that has had such a quiet influence on my definition of Christian than my dad.  I am not saying that I don't know any other good Christians, just that my dad has shown me that definition his entire life.  Why do I say this now?  Mainly because it has only recently come to my attention.  That's right, I didn't recognize the role model I had growing up until I was trying to be one to my own kids.  Somehow or another, I failed to see that there was the model of what I want to be today trying to pass it on to me as I grew up.  So I guess, what I got to say is, dad, forgive me for ignoring you and thank you for living in God's ways and giving me that example to recognize today.
              OK, I am getting all choked up.  Thank you for reading and, as always, have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment