Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pianos, practice, and regret.

          Good news, I slept well last night..er...today.  Man, being on graves really messes with your language and how you refer to the past.  Anyway, while I was at work...last night, I wrote some more on my story.  You can see the link to the page on the right, it's the only one there.  "The Cleric's Path" is its name, by the way.  Now on to the meat of the post.
          I have a confession to make.  I started typing this post and actually had a large amount written.  It started off as a legitimate complaint I had and turned into a rant on welfare.  I won't mention anything else on it, because you deserve better.  Instead I think I will take a break while I clear my mind and come up with a better topic.
       OK, Got it.  While surfing the net, I found an incredible set of videos.  They are on YouTube.  They are made by a group called "The Piano Guys."  I just spent 3 hours enthralled by them.  As you probably guessed, there is piano playing involved.  The thing that makes it really great (other than the fact that the piano is player is really awesome) is the fact that they don't just play known music, they put their own twist to it and make it better.  Oh, and the second member of the group plays the cello, and makes it cool.  Definitely worth checking out.
         That was just an intro, you see, it got me to thinking.  I used to take piano lessons.  I quit when I was a teenager and was going through that period where I couldn't believe I wasn't the center of the universe.  The fact is I wanted to write music and felt that I knew enough to do it on my own and that I didn't need to practice stuff other people wrote.  So, now I can slowly plunk out tunes and read a little bit of music and have one song I made up that I play over and over and over (just ask the wife).  So that leads me to the "thought provoking" question of the day.  What is the one thing (you can have more if you really want to, like I could stop you) that you regret quitting or giving up?  We all have something we either did as a kid or were made to learn that we quit as soon as we were able.  A secondary question might be, what did we start that we wish we hadn't, but I won't go there.
           That's all for today.  Thank you for reading and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment