Monday, June 13, 2011

Dad's wisdom

   So I missed posting on Saturday.  It wasn't really that busy, I just never got around to it.  Sorry.  Anyway, I am now back at work and I have a bit to do so I will keep it short today.  I got the camper in to the shop Friday and it looks like it will cast me in the neighborhood of $300 to get it up and running for the camping season.  I should hear from the shop this afternoon.  All in all, it wasn't a bad weekend.

   Now to let you in on my theme for the week.  With Father's Day coming up on Sunday (yes, it is that close), I have decided that this week will be dedicated to posts on my dad.  Either I will tell a story about him, or share a lesson I learned from him.  Today, I share a quick lesson.

   The lesson is basic and can be summed up in one phrase.  "It is better to have a little to much, than not enough."  At the time, he was referring to cutting lengths of wire for rewiring a house, but I have found that this simple philosophy applies to many parts of our lives.  Meals for example.  Every time, I try to make the exact right amount so I don't over cook, I end up with to little.  The only time I have enough for everyone consistently is when I throw in a little extra, just in case.  It can also apply to your saving account and expense planning.  Think about it, which is worse, over estimating how much something will cost, or convincing yourself that something is cheaper than it actually is. 
   
     There is a flip side to this.  You can find yourself going beyond what is prudent, into the realm of excess.  As my dad said, just a few inches extra is all you really need, otherwise it's just waste.  In other words, use a little bit of self control when getting that little extra.  Don't make a five course meal for 20 when you're expecting 10.  Don't overestimate the cost by doubling it.  Don't add an hour onto a 15 minute commute.

   Now I know some of you are thinking that there are areas where to much is just to much like alcohol.  I agree, but I wasn't referring to that.  The whole premise behind the philosophy is planning.  This isn't about consumption or implementation, it's about planning.  If you try to apply this to the activity currently in progress, you may find yourself in hot water.  As always, prudence is necessary when implementing a plan. 

   Well, that's it for today.  I look forward to tomorrow.  Thanks Dad for all your wisdom and lessons taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment