Monday, June 20, 2011

The Trio of faith miracles, science, and knowledge.

    So There has been a recent discussion that has been weighing on my mind.  A friend of mine on Face book, who is a staunch Atheist, called the bible a fable and fairy tale based on a few of the stories (Jonah and the whale for example).  He automatically dismissed them and thus the entire bible.  Normally, this wouldn't bother me that much as I believe that people have the right to believe as they wish and that it is better to lead by example rather than by pushing.  Anyway, this time it really irked me.  I now realize why.  It wasn't so much the unbelief, it was the fact that he was willing to dismiss the entire bible out of hand. 
     For those of you who have chosen not to believe in God, here is my issue.  You claim that there is no evidence of God.  Then, when a writing that has been verified through archeology and other non religious texts (yes, I am describing the bible) to be accurate in many details, it is dismissed out of hand for several passages that have no naturalistic explanation and thus "could not have happened". 
      Think on this.  If every act of God had a Naturalistic explanation, what kind of God would he be?  On the other hand, if an event has no naturalistic explanation and can be proven that no naturalistic explanation exists, would this not prove the existence of a supernatural event?  In other words, the supernatural events that you dismiss as false because they couldn't happen naturally are proof to the believer of God's existence.  When you dismiss the supernatural explanation, you dismiss God.  I guess the meat and potatoes is this, if you can't accept that a God exists, then you can't accept the existence of the supernatural.  Thus, the supernatural never happened and any mention of it nullifies anything associated with it. 
       Now for the flip side.  Not everything is a supernatural event.  What this means is that there is much that science can explain and should.  All to often, we as Christians are to willing to jump on the God did it band wagon and dismiss all scientific research.  There is ample scientific evidence for many things and thus a supernatural explanation is not required.  To try and apply a supernatural explanation to things that science has adequately explained and proven is to live in ignorance. 
       Just because you are a scientist, doesn't mean you have to give up God.  And just because you are religious, doesn't mean you have to give up science.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  In fact they enhance each other.  God encourages us to ask questions and seek answers.  " 7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. " Matthew 7.  This applies to many things, not just the search for God.  I have found that when I study the sciences, I find God more and more.  This doesn't mean that when I find something I don't understand, I stop and say "God did it."  It just spurs me on to find out more.  How can I believe that random chance is responsible for all the increasing complexities I see in nature.  The balance that exists is awe inspiring.  Then there is the fact that I can appreciate the beauty that is in nature and that nature is in fact beautiful.  More beautiful than is necessary for naturalistic functions.  God and science are not mutually exclusive and do not cancel each other, they only enhance each other.
    In all, I guess that my real problem with his remarks wasn't so much with his disbelief, as with how I reacted.  I allowed myself be angered by it and rather than studying up on what I should say, I ignored the post and let it stew.  This was wrong and it I apologize for it.  He is entitled to his beliefs and I only hope that he can forgive me my attitude.  Than you for allowing me to rant on this.  I look forward to any comments you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment