Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lessons from Dad.

     You can say what you want, but I can think of a million reasons why my dad is great.  OK, maybe not an actual million, but I can think of a lot of them.  I think the main reason is what he gave us that we never realized he gave.  As a dad I now realize just how much it takes to raise a family (at least the preteen years, I am dreading the teens). 
     To start it off he gave patience.  He gave us more than we could ever deserve.  As I look at my boys, I realize just how much they try my patience.  Take meals for instance.  I love cooking for my family.  The boys however have decided that if they can't immediately figure out what it is, it must taste horrible.  Add on to this my oldest's fear of anything new and you get for some very interesting meal times.  I try so hard to to get angry at them when they refuse to try something or call it "yucky" after a single nibble.  Then I reflect back and realize I did the same thing.  At this point I must apologize to my father.  I now understand that look, the clenched jaw and laser eyes.  I also realize what it took for you to remain as calm as you did for as long as you did. 
    Next, through in the lessons in work ethics.  Man did I hate all the work you made me do at home.  Mowing the yard (hey it was an acre and we only had a push mower), cleaning out the barns (hog, goat, chicken, and rabbit), and taking care of the garden (sure the food was fresh, but isn't a quarter acre a bit excessive?)  Now I realize just what it gave me.  I have an appreciation for hard work and a nice lawn.  I understand what it takes to care for animals and a bit more of how nature works (I can also stand smells that would make most people puke).  I know how to grow a garden and what it takes so I can feed my family as I get older.  It took me years to learn that the sooner I got started the sooner it was done.  It also took me years to learn that once you start, don't stop till you're done, momentum is hard to get back.  I may forget your lessons sometimes dad, but thank you for teaching them to me.
   I also have to thank dad for what he gave up for me.  As most of you know, my mother died when I was 13.  Dad never gave up on us and remained as a single parent until after I had left home and was in the Navy.  He never complained about being lonely or wanting to go out on dates.  I realize now that dad gave up adult companionship to raise us kids.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have nothing but teenagers and grade schoolers to talk to night after night.  thanks again dad.
   If I were to sum up my dad in a single phrase it would be generous to a fault.  Eve today, he continues to give of himself.  He currently has at his house, a lot of kids, many of whom he adopted.  Did I mention he is in his late 60's.  When he should be out enjoying his retirement and relaxing, he is giving of himself to raise a bunch of kids that aren't his by blood, but are his through love and caring.  The only word I can think of to describe this is selfless.  My admiration and awe of my dad only continues to grow.  I wish that I could be half as selfless as he.
    As you can probably tell, I have the deepest love and respect for my dad.  Even if I haven't told him, I do.  I know I don't call him as often as I should.  He was always hard to talk to for me.  I am only beginning to realize now why that is.  He is my idol, the one human I wish to be most like as I grow older.  I fear his rebuttal so much, and yet I only feel encouraged after I talk to him. 
    I hope that someday dad can read these words and understand just what it is he means to me.  Thanks dad.  Thanks for caring enough to raise me and teach what it means to not just be a man, but to be a dad.  Thanks for not just telling me how to get along with other, but being a shining example of it.  Thanks for showing me what it means to care for and help others.  Thanks for being my dad.  Just thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment